|S/N PS11250. The Caterpillar Thirty was actually introduced by Cat predecessor Best Tractor Company in 1921 and was continued after Best and Holt merged to form Caterpillar in 1925. S-series Thirtys were produced at the former Best San Leandro, California plant until 1930, with production ending at S10536. The identical PS series was manufactured at the Peoria, Illinois plant from 1927 through 1932, with 14,294 machines built in that series.|
The Thirty weighed 9,910 pounds and was rated at 35 drawbar horsepower and 40 belt or PTO horsepower. It was available in standard 43.75” or wide 60.75” track gauge, and an end-seat version to keep the operator’s head out of low branches in orchards was also offered. Like all other Cat tractors of the time, the Thirty was painted grey until Cat converted to yellow paint on December 7, 1931.
This machine can be seen in operation at the 18th annual National Convention and Old Equipment Exposition of the Historical Construction Equipment Association, to be held September 5th through 7th, 2003 at its National Construction Equipment Museum near Bowling Green, Ohio. Visit our website for more information.