|I am currently working on a 1931 model D John Deere. I purchaced two of them, one for parts, boy am I glad I did that. The problem is after examining them to determine which one to work with I chose the wrong one, thus creating a lot of extra work for me. |
The head was cracked, the parts tractors head was not. The rods and mains were worn beond use but the parts tractor had been bored in the past and I could not use the piston from it. So the local machine shop came in handy. He mad new wrist pins, rebabbited the rod and main bearings and refitted them. The crank was turned. I had to take it over 100 miles to be done because it is 7 inch stroke and every one closer that did that work only went to 6 1/2 stroke.
I disasembled the radiator and repaired the cracks in the castiron with nickel welding rods. I rebuilt the brass carb with a kit bought from NAPA auto parts store. The govoner weights were worn so I got the ones from the parts tractor and put in new pivot pins. I bought a gasket set from JD and put engine back together.
I got the oportunity to go to a plowing party after the engine was reassembled. This was very helpful in finding out were all the leaks were so they would not ruin my future paint job. After ironing out an idle problem, that turned out to be an idle curcuit that was pluged, it was ready to be disassembled and sandblasted and painted.
At this time I am almost done painting the tractor except for the fenders which will be a spring project. It's first show without fenders will be Sept. 6 and 7 at Eagleville TN. Hope to see some people that surf the antique tractor web there. Happy Tractoring Bryan West
Bryan West, entered 2000-02-16